The 737-400X became the 737-800 but is significantly longer at 39.4m (129ft 6in) and seats up to 189. The project was launched on 5 September 1994, with commitments for over 40. First delivery was to Hapag Lloyd in April 1998. This is by far the most successful series of 737 and the huge backlog of orders will ensure the 737's production until at least 2012.
Differences from the -700 include:
- Fuselage plugs of 3m (fwd) and (2.84m (aft).
- Engine thrust increased to 26,400Lbs.
- Additional over-wing exits (similar to -400)
- Tailskid added to section 48 (same as -400).
- Environmental Control System riser ducts added (same as -400).
- Re-gauged skins and stringers in wing and center section.
- 44.5in (1.13m) tires, heavy-duty wheels and brakes.
- Resized main landing gear structure.